2012年3月11日星期日

Another New Experience

Started from 1st of March, I had a new experience in UPM. After waiting for few months since I submitted my application form, they finally informed me that they are offering me as Graduate Research Fellowship for 2.5 years, which equivalent to the balance of my expected PhD study duration.

Is it a good new? Not sure. Why? Because... Once I accept this offer, they will pay us monthly allowance of RM1700 and also exempted the study fee of RM1200 each semester. However, we need to work at least 6 hours a week for our supervisor. Well, this is no problem for me because the jobs basically are tutoring the classes, marking exam papers and perhaps mentoring some undergraduate thesis or lab work. What make my life difficult is I need to punch in and out everyday for at least 8 hours! Apart from this, there is one more condition: I need to forgone my part time jobs as we are not allowed to have other kinds of employment. Otherwise, will be treated as breach of contract and need to pay the compensation. 

So, now you see my point? My opportunity cost to accept the GRF offer is quite high lei! On one hand, I have a part time job that give me quite promising payoff; on the hand, I had my study mission to complete my PHD in 3 years, if possible. Well, I still accept the GRF offer. 

It means I am a poor student now!

没有评论: